Friday, November 16, 2018

Beta Blockers after Aortic Dissection & Weight Gain



Beta blockers, specifically metoprolol, were prescribed to me after my dissection.  For seven years I've taken 200mg of metoprolol each day.

Beta blockers are one of the main medications used to managed descending aortic dissections because of their effect at suppressing the hormone epinephrine.

Epinephrine is also known as adrenaline.  Suppression of epinephrine slows my pulse down and somewhat decreases my blood pressure.

A slower pulse and decreased blood pressure places less stress on my dissected aorta, lessening risk of further damage.

One of the side effects for many on beta blockers is weight gain.

Because our heart beats slower our metabolism drops.  Over the years I've noticed my caloric requirements have been substantially reduced due to my slower pulse and metabolism.

Staying active is important while on beta blockers if your doctor approves.  I find walking is the best way for me to balance my slower metabolism with my beta blocker medication.

Check out this link for an interesting article about beta blockers and weight gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment